Trump’s apprenticeship initiative – why veterans make the best candidates.
Have you heard about President Donald Trump’s apprenticeship initiative? More details to come this week, but here’s what we know…
Let’s recap – Trump wants to see more apprenticeship opportunities in an effort to:
- Decrease unemployment.
- Give job seekers the skills they need to land jobs.
- Help employers fill open positions with the right candidates.
What does this mean for your company?
If you already have an apprenticeship program or are thinking about starting one, you may want to consider getting involved with the Veteran Administration’s GI Bill Apprenticeship Credit program. There are many benefits to getting involved including:
- Veterans are hard-working, eager to learn, and determined to succeed, making them ideal candidates.
- Your company will gain access to the veteran talent pool, so you can hand pick your apprentices.
- Employers generally pay a reduced apprenticeship wage (which initially must be at least 50% of journeyman wage).
- The VA will provide veterans a monthly housing allowance which will be based on the length of the training.
You can find out more about the program and see if you’re qualified to participate, here.
Are you a Military Friendly® Company?
One more thing to consider is that veterans are more likely to work with you if you’re a Military Friendly® Company. To find out if you are, you can request your 2018 Military Friendly® Companies survey link. The survey opens this Thursday!